Nothing says ‘Happy Holidays’ like food poisoning. I didn’t even know that I had food poisoning (I thought it was just a nasty stomach bug), until I found out that NINE people in our group had gotten sick. It was pretty obvious at that point that something wasn’t quite right.
If you’ve never gotten food poisoning, I can only hope that it never happens to you. It’s a truly miserable experience. What makes the experience even more miserable is when the establishment where you got food poisoning doesn’t even bother to call you back.
The culprit: Punch Bowl Social. I wish it wasn’t so, because I’m dying for the businesses in The Flats to have a long and successful future. I’d visited Punch Bowl once before and overall I liked the place. It has a trendy vibe, without being pretentious and ample space and activities to appeal to most crowds. There might be a tad too much plaid for my liking, but I was more than interested in returning to a celebrate a friend’s birthday.
For drinks the majority of us sampled the blueberry lemonade, vodka and soda. It wasn’t the best cocktail I’ve ever had, but it hit the spot. Plus, it was pretty. Most of the group ate meals that included chicken. We’re not exactly sure what got us sick, but it had to be one of those things. I called the day I found out it was food poisoning and left a message. Another person called and the manager said they would “talk to the kitchen staff.” My friend’s mom called and is still waiting for the manager to return her call. Finally after a friend threatened to cancel her future work event at Punch Bowl, she got a refund on her bill.
Disappointed doesn’t even begin to describe how I feel about the way Punch Bowl handled (or didn’t handle) this situation. They should take note from the Hard Rock Cafe, who after a sub par dining experience provided superior customer service. The Hard Rock manager reached out and called me for feedback on our experience and provided a $50 gift certificate for a future visit.
Would I recommend Punch Bowl? I think the answer is pretty obvious here, given my personal experience. I can only hope that your experience is or was more favorable than ours.
12 thoughts on “Punch Bowl with a side of food poisoning”
Hi Kelly –
Thanks for bringing the issue to our attention. This is highly unusual as Punch Bowl Social prides itself on a quality experience for all our guests. Our food and beverage program is built on a high degree of culinary integrity. We want to understand more about your experience and hope you will give us the opportunity to make it right. Would you mind contacting me directly at email@example.com so I can learn more?
Thanks so much,
Jodi – Thanks for reaching out. I’ll be sending you an email shortly to discuss!
I would highly suggest contacting the Cuyahoga County Board of Health. If 9 of you got sick, there’s likely more. This was definitely a food borne illness outbreak and should be investigated. At the very least, this restaurant should get their act together knowing that they’re under investigation. Good luck!
Thanks for your feedback! We have contacted the health department. I’d be interested in learning if it they find the cause!
Is this documented with and by the health department? Usually food poisoning involves hospitalization and severe dehydration. Is this applicable to your party? Just curious if the health department and medical professionals diagnosed your parties experience as food poisoning.
Ben – this has been documented with the health department. Thanks!
It seems to me after reading your article your looking for a free handout. Your hard rock reference proves that
Tom – Thanks for your comment. I’m not looking for a free handout. I honestly have no intention of going back to Punch Bowl anytime soon. I just think the situation was handled poorly.
how may people in your group, bowled or played table or video games while attending your event? What I’m hinting at is that maybe someone did’nt wash their hands in your group or sneezed or coughed on the food…The flu is spread very easily and many times appears to be food poisoning
Sean – Only four of us played a game of skeeball. The rest of us didn’t play any of the other games. I also heard from a server that they received a couple dozen calls from that weekend so I’d be surprised if it was the flu. Thanks for responding!
My wife and I got food poisoning too after we ate dinner there Saturday January 2nd. Not 100% sure what it was from, but we shared a piece of cake for desert and it tasted like it had been sitting out on a shelf for the better part of a week. After one bite we pushed it away and had our server take it back. No one in our group of 4 was really happy with their meals, the drinks were okay. I probably won’t be going back.
I ate at punch bowl social on May 1, 2016, and ended up with absolutely horrible food poisoning. I had one cocktail and the mushroom tacos. I missed two days of work. I hope that the owners take a look at this serious recurring problem and do something to fix it. Diners should feel confident that their food is being prepared in ways that will keep them safe.