It seems like all the new restaurants and bars in Cleveland come with a view. First you had Alley Cat with their prime location on the Cuyahoga River, then Bar 32 with aerial lake views and now you have Nuevo Modern Mexican sandwiched between Lake Erie and the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. How could you possibly go wrong with a location like that?
Nuevo Mod Mex is the perfect mix of tasty Mexican dishes and drinks, city skyline and lake views. If their set-up wasn’t good enough, three volleyball courts were added to the north of the restaurant where Hermes runs an ongoing league. Bocce ball courts were also added this past summer. That’s just pure genius if you ask me.
The restaurant decor is clean and modern. There is no shortage of natural light, with windows taking up every wall. You also have the option of staying inside or lounging on one of the plentiful patio seats. The restaurant is two floors, with the superior views definitely coming from the patio seating on the second floor.
Trying to figure out whether or not they deserve a try? I’ve already been there twice and this is what I’ve experienced.
- The views are insanely good and the vibe is chill.
- Their service isn’t terrible, but it still needs to be tweaked. We went for lunch and it took two hours from start to finish!
- Their food is pretty darn tasty. It’s definitely one of the better Mexican options downtown.
- The sides could use some extra flavor. While the main meals are good, I’m thinking that the rice and beans lack any real seasoning and they are a bit dry.
- The margaritas are AMAZING. They are the best thing about the restaurant hands down. Try the watermelon one and you will not be disappointed. Tip: Order the flight for 3 different margaritas ($15). Choose your own speciality salt/sugar rim too!
- As an added bonus you can check out the “Cleveland” sign while you’re down at Voinovich Park and take the obligatory tourist shot of the city skyline.