I won’t even bother to deny the fact that I’m a coffee addict. I blame this partly on my complete lack of self-control and there happens to be a Starbucks right next door to where I work. While I love Starbucks for my grande nonfat raspberry cappuccino with one less pump of raspberry (a.k.a. The Kelly Cappuccino) and the fabulous staff that know my order by heart, there are so many other local coffee shops downtown that also top my list.
- Phoenix Coffee: Phoenix has two locations downtown – one in the Warehouse District (St. Clair between W. 6th and W. 9th) and one on East 9th. My favorite is the Warehouse District location because they serve a different dark roast that I love called Blackbird. Both locations have cozy spaces for meeting with friends or colleagues, although the East 9th location is a bit larger. Regardless, the coffee is amazing and they serve Cleveland Bagel Co. bagels.
- The Copper Moon: This coffee shop is a hidden secret, nestled inside the Statler Arms apartment building on East 12th and Euclid. Their featured drinks change, but two of my favorites are the Raspberry White Mocha and the Maple Cinnamon Latte. I’ve also tried some fancier coffee options there, like an affogato, which is essentially ice cream and espresso and espresso con panna, which is espresso with whipped cream. So good!
- Pour Cleveland: One of my favorite things about Pour is the decor and ambiance. The trendy lighting and minimalist design is unique to the coffee shop setting of downtown Cleveland. While typically I enjoy a sugar filled specialty drink, here I opt for a simple latte or their traditional pour over coffee. It’s one of the best cups I’ve coffee I’ve sampled.
- Rising Star: One of the newer shops in downtown Cleveland (they have multiple other locations), this coffee shop is situated in one of my favorite buildings downtown – The Old Arcade. I was thrown the first time I went there due to the lack of sugary syrups that I typically add to my coffee. I ended up ordering the Cardamom Bomb, where the milk is steamed with a brown sugar and cardamom mixture for flavor. Yum!
- Joe Maxx Coffee Company: Located in Public Square, Joe Maxx isn’t limited to just Ohio. They have plenty of coffee options, including specialty lattes and cappuccinos. Plus, they serve sandwiches and pastry options, so you’ve covered all the way around.