A couple of these have already arrived, while others will be here before we know it. Check out some of the fun restaurants, events, and people coming to downtown Cleveland in the upcoming months! God, it’s good to live in Cleveland!
1. Camino Taco & Tequila Bar: This is the new restaurant that opened up next to my apartment on West 9th street. They literally just opened this week. I can’t wait to grab some tacos and margaritas at this casual, and super convenient new bar! Let’s wish them good luck!
2. Mitchell’s Ice Cream: Alright, this one isn’t quite downtown but it’s right over the bridge in Ohio City. They just opened their doors this week as well! The Ohio City location includes factory tours and tastings. I’m looking forward to riding my bike there this summer!
3. Playhouse Square Dazzling: If you haven’t taken a walk down Euclid lately, you should get going. Better yet, head down to the Playhouse Square District on May 2nd starting at 5:30 p.m. to see the official lighting of the outdoor chandelier, enjoy some live music by Hot Chelle Rae and eat and drink the night away!
4. John Travolta: Michael Pitt (Boardwalk Empire), Dan Stevens (Downtown Abbey), and Rebecca Da Costa (Entourage) will be joining him as they start filming “Criminal Activities” in the Greater Cleveland area. Be on the lookout for these stars throughout the spring and summer as I’m sure they’ll hit up Cleveland’s hopping restaurant and bar scene!
5. The Gay Games: The Gay Games are one of the biggest sport and cultural festivals in the world and it’s coming to Cleveland August 9 – 16th! The games are open to all adults – regardless of sexual orientation or athletic ability. So many great activities will be going on during that time – so get involved!
6. Free Community Yoga: While free yoga is available to the community now (Saturdays on East 4th or in Hingetown), the Believe in CLE movement will continue their magnificent events at the Rock n’ Roll Hall of Fame in June and the Mall between Public Hall and the Medical Mart in August to kick off the Gay Games! Registration is open for the June event now!
7. Walnut Wednesdays: And Food Truck Fridays. As soon as the cold weather goes away for good, we can look forward to the food trucks that invade downtown Cleveland with their delicious tacos, stone cooked pizzas and mini donuts. I can feel my waistband expanding already!
8. Flats Phase II: Although it might seem pretty quiet down in The Flats, ground has been broken for Phase II of the Flats project that will bring upscale apartments, a boardwalk, and restaurants to the area in Spring 2015. Drive by to see how quickly this project is progressing!
9. Urban Farmer: Meet Cleveland’s newest steakhouse, scheduled to open this spring. Their emphasis is on local, organic sourcing with simple and straightforward presentations. Connected to the soon to open Westin on St. Clair and East 6th, it features a rustic outside appearance. Urban Farmer will focus on sustainable practices and creates a connection between the diner and local farmers, ranchers, distillers and winemakers.
10. Small Boxes Creative Retail: This retail initiative will convert used shipping containers into small stores, turning an existing parking lot into a unique public space. It will make the sidewalks seem friendlier and more walkable. While news stories of this initiative started in November last year, final details have not yet been released. I’m hoping this becomes a reality though!